Molecular Biology Technician/Lab Accessioning Scientist(AZ15613)
Client has created a facility for high throughput screening for SARS-CoV-2 of our Key Workers. Staff within this laboratory will work a shift pattern to enable a 16-hour day operation across 5 days a week. Typical hours will be Tuesday to Saturday 8am-4pm, but all applicants should have the ability to work between the hours of 6am and 10pm in case shift work is required in the future.
The Molecular Biology Technician role will involve fully automated RNA extraction and RT-PCR workflows. You will need to be comfortable performing this while using Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Individuals will work in teams of 2-3 to operate Beckman robotics systems to perform automated magnetic bead RNA extraction procedures and track samples through the LIMS system, followed by performing the RT-PCR reaction setup including manual pipetting as well as automated plate preparation using benchtop automation equipment. Following plate preparation, laboratory technicians/scientists will be responsible for running the plates on the qPCR instrument, QC’ing the data when it is available, and alerting laboratory management of any data issues.
This role is critical to the end-to-end workflow and you will be assigned to a specific assessment method and trained on it extensively. We will equip you with the required PPE for the level of exposure and you will have to strictly adhere to the specific Standard Operating Procedures (SOP). These roles report to an AstraZeneca laboratory shift leader.
• Work in BSL2 laboratory with previous experience of automation and molecular biology techniques required.
• Experience working in a Biological Safety Cabinet required.
• Experience working in a CLIA environment preferred.
• Clinical diagnostics background preferred.
• Work with human biological specimens. HepB Vaccination advised.
• Work with samples which may contain SARS-CoV-2.
• Attention to detail to ensure chain of custody of all samples
• Working and communicating across a fast-paced cross organizational team.
• Ability to rigorously follow SOPs.
• Alternative pattern shift work
• Ability to follow laboratory specified documentation practices
• Ability to handle human specimens with appropriate precautions
• Ability to follow CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) procedures
• Scientific Bachelor's degree preferred.
2 positions available